SACON® The safest, most environmentally friendly munitions management system available!
Benefits of SACON for Firing Ranges and Shoot Houses
- Closed-cell foamed concrete provides dry, alkaline medium for holding lead.
- Cannot burn or rot.
- Construction techniques are similar to conventional concrete (block, pre-cast panels, or cast-in-place).
- Alkalinity results in low lead leaching.
- Used SACON generally considered construction waste -- non-hazardous and non-flammable. (Results of Toxicity Characteristic Leaching Procedure (TCLP) tests)
- Can be formed and pigmented to assist in concealment.
Sample SACON Bullet Penetration
|Rifle Caliber||Depth||Pistol Caliber||Depth|
|22 long (37 gr)||1.5"||.38 - cal.||1"|
|5.56 (56 gr)||2.5"||.45 - cal.||1.25"|
|270 (150 gr)||4"||9 mm (115 gr)||3"|
|7.62 x 39 (126 gr)||4"||7.62 x 25 (85 gr)||3"|
|380 (95 gr)||1.5"|
Terran is the most experienced SACON provider in the U.S.
We have designed and constructed SACON structures for indoor and outdoor ranges and shoot houses. Structures are normally combinations of standard blocks fit together to form backstops, frames, walls or expendable bullet traps. This example drawing shows how standard blocks and panels can be used to create a 5 lane shooting range.
Custom shapes, figures and structures can also be made. Terran's SACON process is mobile, allowing custom manufacturing at or near your site and SACON can even be "poured in place."
Contact Terran Corporation if you have any questions about SACON.
4080 Executive Drive
Beavercreek, OH 45430-1061
Phone: (937) 320-3601
Fax: (937) 320-3620
Or send e-mail to Brad Huntsman
Additional Information about SACON:
SACON - Past Installations by Terran (PDF document)
Brochure: Shock-Absorbing Concrete for Today's Shooting Ranges
Presentation: Development of a Movable Wall Shoot House for Small Arms and Grenade Training
Technical Paper: Development of a New Bullet Trap Design Using Shock-Absorbing Concrete (SACON)
Examples of SACON projects Terran has completed:
SACON Shoot House MOUT Facility 29 Palms, California
SACON Design and Fabrication Fort Bragg, NC